First-time writers and veteran poets alike are welcome to enter Highline’s 8th annual Poetry Contest. Open to current students, the contest is a chance to win a cash prize and have your poem published.
Ten poems will win. Award amounts range from $200 (first prize) to $75 (seven honorable mention prizes).
The contest is a prelude to Highline College’s celebration of National Poetry Month, April 2020. Each poem will be displayed in the Highline Library Exhibits and Art Gallery (Building 25, 4th floor). Contest winners and finalists will have their poems hang alongside nationally recognized poets.
Winners will receive a copy of their poem. Another copy will be part of Highline’s permanent collection. Poets will also have the chance to read their work during a reception in the gallery in April.
Follow these guidelines to have your poem(s) judged in Highline’s 2020 Poetry Contest:
- Be a Highline student at time of entry.
- Write poems of up to 20 lines (not including title).
- Type your submission.
- Submit up to three poems about any subject.
- Agree to have your poem put on display and used during National Poetry Month. By submitting your poem, you are giving consent.
- Send your poem(s) by 4 p.m. on Feb. 14, 2020, by email only to email@example.com. Include Poetry Contest 2020 in the subject line. With your submission, include your name, email address and phone number.