Summer and fall quarter enrollment has begun! See enrollment dates and class schedules.

Learn English

Home/What We Offer/Learn English
Learn English 2023-08-28T10:45:39+00:00

Learn English

Additional information is available in these languages:

If English is not your native language, Highline College can help you.

We offer pre-college level classes called English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL classes). These classes are also sometimes called English as a Second Language (ESL) classes. In the classes, you will improve your English reading, writing, speaking, listening, technology and academic skills in order to be successful in college and get a better job.

The classes are held at Highline College in the morning, afternoon and evening at certain times Monday through Friday and on Saturdays. There is a $25 tuition fee each quarter. Tuition waivers are available.

All new students are required to attend an in-person ESOL student orientation. Students who have been out of the program for more than six months or those who are new to Washington state are considered new students. At the orientation, you will complete a Highline application and take an English skills examination. You will also enroll in classes. Visit the link below to learn how to attend an ESOL student orientation.

Who the Program is For?

Classes are for immigrants, refugees, permanent residents and U.S. citizens who are at least 18 years old. Note: If you have a temporary visa such as F1, F2, H1, or you are an Au Pair (nanny), business travelers or tourists, go to the International Programs website for English language training options.

Connect with Us

Website: English Language, Career and Academic Prep (ELCAP)
Email: elcapofficestaff@highline.edu
Phone: (206) 592-3297

Para las clases de inglés como segundo idioma o información sobre Highline College marque (206) 592-3750.

If you have a disability that requires special accommodations, contact Access Services after your assessment appointment either in person at Building 25 or by phone at 206-592-3857.

International Students

International students are students who attend Highline College on a student visa (F-1, I-20, etc.). International students must prove English proficiency in order to be admitted to Highline College. You can do this by earning a passing score on a placement test of your choosing, including the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet based test, IELTS, Kaplan International Tools for English (KITE) or the Accuplacer Reading Test. Once admitted at Highline College, there is a chance to improve your English while enrolled at Highline College by taking English courses, including English 097, English 099 and English 101.

Connect with Us

Website: international.highline.edu
Email: int@highline.edu or ispadmissions@highline.edu
Phone: (206) 592-3725

Are your English Skills Strong?

Most courses require placement into a particular English or math course by assessing your reading, writing and math skills. Placement tests help you identify which classes are right for you, however, there are a variety of methods you can use to find your placement outside of testing. By looking at your high school transcript, GED, SAT/ACT scores or other placement scores, we can help you find what works for you.

If you believe your English skills are strong enough for college-level English courses, answer the questions on this form to get help determining what placement is right for you.

Connect with Us

Website: placeandtest.highline.edu/placement
Email: entryadvising@highline.edu
Phone: (206) 592-3251