New to poetry? No matter.
First-time writers and veteran poets alike are welcome to enter the college’s Poetry Contest.
Ten poems will earn cash prizes. Award amounts range from $200 (first prize) to $75 (seven finalists).
The contest is a prelude to Highline College’s celebration of National Poetry Month, April 2018. Each poem will be displayed on a broadside in the Highline Library’s Exhibit and Art Gallery. Contest winners and finalists will have their broadsides hang alongside nationally recognized poets.
Winners will receive a copy of their broadside. Another copy will be part of Highline’s permanent collection. Poets will also have the chance to read their work during a reception in the gallery in April.
What Is a Broadside?
Broadsides are loosely defined as single sheets of paper printed on one side. They were the most diverse form of brief, single-occasion publishing before the Civil War.
Although broadsides were first introduced in England, they became a prime means of communication in the United States, often posted in the town square.
Advertisements, song lyrics, commentaries, cartoons, and poems were printed and posted in towns across the nation.
Later, Harlem Renaissance, Concrete, and Beat writers claimed the broadside as a below-the-radar way to get their words out onto the streets.
Deadline for Submission
Follow these guidelines to have your poem(s) judged in Highline’s 2018 Poetry Contest:
- Be a Highline student at time of submission.
- Submit poems about any subject.
- Keep poem length to no more than 20 lines.
- Type your submission.
- Submit up to three poems.
- Include name, email address and phone number on each submission.
- Agree to have your poem put on display and used during National Poetry Month. By submitting your poem, you are giving consent.
- Submit your poem(s) by February 16, 2018, at 4 p.m. by email only to email@example.com. Include Poetry Contest 2018 in the subject line. You can also use the Submit My Poem button above.