Creating Accessible Documents in Microsoft Word
Microsoft Word is a widely-used application for creating text documents. The text within Word documents can be read with screen readers, making it popular among individuals with disabilities. Word has built-in features and a Accessibility Checker to help identify elements that may cause problems for people with disabilities.
Learn best practices and how to make your Word Documents accessible with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Windows 10 app, and Office Online.
- Format your document using built-in heading and paragraph styles.
- Add alternative text to images and tables.
- Designate a header row in a table.
- Merge or split cells in a table.
- Add and edit meaningful hyperlink text.
- Ensure that color is not the only means of conveying information.
- Check your document for accessibility.