Creating Accessible Documents
When creating content, it’s important to assure that your content is accessible. There are a few basic steps that are needed for accessibility. The steps are the same regardless of whether your document is in Microsoft Word, Adobe PDF, HTML, or another document format.
- Use properly formatted headings to structure a page.
- Format lists as bulleted or numbered lists.
- Ensure link text makes sense on its own.
- Provide alternative text descriptions to all images.
- Identify document language.
- Use tables for data (not for layout) and use column headers.
- Avoid using spaces to create visual alignment.
- Use sufficient color contrast. Don’t convey content with color alone.
Learn how to apply these concepts by selecting one of the following document formats.