Meetings and Minutes

Home/Policies/Meetings and Minutes
Meetings and Minutes 2018-03-27T10:36:03+00:00

Meetings and Minutes

Present: Michael Pham, Lorraine Odom, Alice Madsen, Erik Scott, Astrid, & James Peyton

Meeting Notes:

Animals on Campus

  • Members of the council were given time to provide feedback to the proposed Animals on Campus Policy for a third reading.
  • Michael would like to call for a vote on this policy in the February meeting (2/26/18).
  • Francesca will send out a new copy with the grammatical change in the last line of the policy.

Weapons on Campus

  • Michael proposed that a new Weapons on Campus policy should reflect the HC Student Conduct Code (WAC 1321-125-100) language, which defines weapons as a prohibited conduct.
  • An addition was suggested regarding the ‘intent’ behind holding a knife, cutting, or stabbing instrument versus such weapons as a firearm, dagger, or sword.
  • A suggestion was made to change the term ‘pistol’ to ‘handgun’ in the second paragraph.
  • The council members agreed to run the next draft by members of the criminal justice program, who frequently have faculty members that bring weapons on campus as commissioned law enforcement officers.

Drug Free Campus

  • Michael presented the proposed changes to the Drug Free Campus policy.
  • Lorraine mentioned adding a clarifying line that people with a marijuana prescription, are not allowed to bring the drug on campus premises.
  • Michael asked for feedback on the second paragraph, and whether it needs to be so explicit on the consequences of violating the policy.

Drug Free Campus

  • Michael presented the proposed changes to the Drug Free Campus policy.
  • Lorraine mentioned adding a clarifying line that people with a marijuana prescription, are not allowed to bring the drug on campus premises.
  • Michael asked for feedback on the second paragraph, and whether it needs to be so explicit on the consequences of violating the policy.

Next Meeting Date:

  • February 26 (Monday), at 3:30 p.m. in 99-269.

Present: Michael Pham, Toni Castro, Alice Madsen, Erik Scott, Vanessa Primer, & James Peyton

Meeting Notes:

Animals on Campus

  • A motion was made to pass the policy as its written, seconded by Erik Scott, all voted in favor except for one. The Animals on Campus Policy was approved by Policy Development Council and will be moved up to the President’s Office.
  • Prior to the policy passing, Erik Scott shared notes from faculty senate expressing concerns that this policy could contradict a Human Resources procedure on reasonable accommodations.
  • Vanessa shared that student government put together a task force group to see if comfort animal could be defined and found that there was no good official definition the college could objectively follow.

Weapons on Campus

  • The committee supports the policy language matching the existing Student Code of Conduct text.
  • Vanessa proposed replacing the word ‘pistol’ with the word ‘firearm’ to encompass more gun types.
  • The Committee agreed to include the term ‘authorized contractors’ into the policy language.
  • To organize the policy, all the listed exceptions will be in the second paragraph.

Drug Free Campus

  • The committee supports the simplified “proposed revised version” of the policy. In addition, the committee recommends adding language to clarify/explain Federal prohibition vs. State’s legalization (of marijuana for example). Vanessa will forward language proposed by the Student Council. Toni will forward recommended language from SS commission.

Present: Michael Pham, Toni Castro, Alice Madsen, Erik Scott, Vanessa Primer, & James Peyton

Meeting Notes:

Animals on Campus

  • Jeff Wagnitz is waiting for information from the Access Services office as to whether this policy would affect any current comfort animal procedure they have in place.

Weapons on Campus

  • Erik Scott proposed new language to better define weapons and the intentions of those weapons.
  • Committee discussed accommodations to gun owners who do not want to leave their fire arms locked in their vehicle. Currently, Public Safety owns a safe that was purchased for the purpose of allowing people to safely store their fire arm. Michael will discuss the committee feedback and concerns with David Menke, Director of Public Safety and Emergency Management.
  • Michael will update the weapons policy and send out the newly revised version for campus feedback.

Drug Free Campus

  • The committee proposed language changes. Michael will update the policy and send out the revised version for campus feedback.

Policy Webpage

  • The new policy webpage will go live next week. The new page has reorganized the policies according to division, instead of alphabetically.
  • A link to the new site will be shared with committee members prior to announcing the change to campus.

PDC Bylaws

  • Executive Staff is proposing to additional non-voting members to PDC to accurately reflect the campus population.
  • In the 2018-19 school year PDC will have a set monthly schedule that works for all members.
  • Michael will research the campus organizational chart and employee number break-down data to examine which employee populations are under-represented at PDC.
  • With a new Director of HR, it is the committees hope that a new WPEA member will be assigned to the council very shortly.