First-time writers and veteran poets alike are welcome to enter Highline’s 9th annual Poetry Contest. Open to current students, the contest is a chance to win a cash prize and have your poem published.
Ten poems will win. Award amounts range from $200 (first prize) to $75 (seven honorable mention prizes).
The contest is a prelude to Highline College’s celebration of National Poetry Month, April 2021. The National Poetry Month Committee will have readings and workshops from three visiting poets during the month of April, however, that information will be published at a later date. The three poets scheduled to participate are Naomi Shihab Nye, Jericho Brown, and Enzo Silon Surin.
Follow these guidelines to have your poem(s) judged in Highline’s 2021 Poetry Contest:
- Be a Highline College student enrolled anytime during the 2020-21 academic year.
- Write poems of up to 20 lines (not including title).
- Type your submission.
- Submit up to three poems about any subject.
- Agree to have your poem put on display and used during National Poetry Month. By submitting your poem, you are giving consent.
- Send your poem(s) by 4 p.m. on Feb. 12, 2021, by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Poetry Contest 2021 in the subject line. With your submission, include your name, email address and phone number.