First Generation Student Success
This seminar will bring new Highline students together to connect with campus resources and build a community of support for new Highline students. Students will participate in team and community building activities throughout the day and learn success strategies to navigate their first quarter at Highline College. Our experience will be tailored to students who are first-generation college students. First-Generation College Student is defined as students whose parents have not earned a bachelor’s degree.
Date, Time & Location:
Tuesday, September 20th 9am-1pm
Highline College, Building 2
Target Audience: First-generation and new college students (newly enrolled, Spring, Summer or Fall 2016).
How to Apply: In order to participate, you must apply by completing the form link below. You will be contacted to inform your status to the program. Due to limited space, we will not be able to accept all students who apply. We recommend you apply as soon as possible.
Goals of the Experience:
- Students will be provided a College Success Roadmap/Passport and learn how to navigate campus resources
- Students will become familiar with Highline support services and have the opportunity to speak with staff and student representatives
- Students will meet other new first-generation college students and participate in community building activities
- Students will meet with Highline College peer navigators and receive insight about how to be a successful first-generation college student
Certificate of Participation: Students who participate in the seminar will receive a Highline College New Student Experience Seminar Certificate of Participation.
Light Refreshments in the Morning and Lunch Provided.
Questions? Contact TRiO Director, Ay Saechao, 206-592-3303.
|8:50am||Doors Open, Check-in and Refreshments|
|9:15am||Introduction and Welcome – TRiO Director & VP of Student Services|
|9:20am||Goal and Overview of Today: Being First-Generation|
|9:25am||Break Out Sessions – 2 Sessions Occurring Simultaneously|
|Session 1: 9:25-10:25am
Session 2: 10:30-11:30am
1) Small Group Activity/Discussion: First-Gen Identity Discussion
2) Team Building Activity
|11:30am||Break and Lunch|
|Noon||Student Panel Discussion|
|12:45pm||Certificate Presentation and Closing|
|1pm||Passport Activity Overview & Quick Plugin MRC, Advising, TRiO, AANAPISI and MESA|
|1:15pm||Campus Tour (Optional)|